Marriage License Application


When planning your wedding, don't forget you must obtain a marriage license. You may apply for a marriage license in St. Joseph County at the Main Clerk's Office, or the Mishawaka Clerk's Office.


The St. Joseph Circuit Court Clerk offers an online service for couples to pre-apply for a marriage license. One or both of you must be residents of St. Joseph County OR if not residents you must be getting married in St. Joseph County. The Online Marriage License Application (OMLA) makes it easier and more efficient to obtain a marriage license. You may complete the web-based application form online prior to visiting the Clerk's office. It will shorten the time spent in the Clerk's office to obtain the license. It takes about 15 - 20 minutes to fill out the paperwork. Please keep that in mind when you are deciding when to come in.

You may also apply in person at the office of the Circuit Court Clerk in South Bend or Mishawaka. 

Access:  Pre-apply online

Where to Apply

Whether you pre-apply online, you still have to come to the Clerk's office in South Bend or Mishawaka to obtain your license. If you do not pre-apply online, you can apply in the office of the Clerk. A valid identification to prove your identity and Date of Birth must be shown whether you pre-apply or apply in the office.


Application Location Regulations
  • If both applicants are Indiana residents and both live in St Joseph County you must apply in St. Joseph County.
  • If both of you are residents of Indiana but not residents of St Joseph County, you must apply in your county of residence.
  •  If both applicants reside out of state, you must apply in the county in which you are getting married
  • If you are residents of St Joseph County and wish to get married outside the State of Indiana you must research the marriage laws of that state of country to determine when and how to apply.
  •  An Indiana marriage license may not be used in another state or country.

Age Requirements

You must be 18 years of age to file for a license without parental consent. If the bride and/or groom is 17 years old, both parents must consent to the marriage by signing the application.

If the applicant(s) are 16 years of age or under, you must first obtain a court order before you apply and your parents must sign the application. You must file a petition with the Clerk's Office ($141) in order to obtain the court order. A hearing will be set by the judge assigned to the case. After receiving the court order from the Judge, bring it to the Clerk's office to apply for the license. 

Blood Tests

The State of Indiana does not require blood test results be presented at the time of application.

Identification to Bring to Apply
Applicants under the age of 18 must have an original certified copy of their birth certificate. Applicants ages 18 or older must show one of the following:
  • A valid driver's license
  • Current state-issued identification card
  • Military identification
  • Original certified birth certificate
  • Passport

If You Were Married Before

If either applicant was married before, the license application requires information on the month, year, and manner (for example, divorce, death, or annulment) in which the marriage ended.

Waiting Period

In the State of Indiana, the marriage license can be issued on the same day of application. There is no waiting period. Both applicants must appear at the Clerk's Office in person to complete the application. Once issued, the license is valid for 60 days. If you do not marry within the sixty days, the license will expire and you will have to apply for a new one.

License Cost

At the time of the application, the fee is $29 if one or both of the applicants is a resident of the State of Indiana. If both applicants reside out of state, and intend to marry in Indiana the fee is $65 payable at the time you apply. No personal checks are accepted. Please bring cash or a money order. 

Who Can Perform a Ceremony
IC 11/06/31 States who is authorized to solemnize a marriage.
  •  The Bahai faith, in accordance with the rules of the Bahai faith
  • The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, in accordance with the rules of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints
  • A clerk of the circuit court
  • A clerk or clerk-treasurer of a city or town, within a county in which the city or town is located  
  • The Friends Church, in accordance with the rules of the Friends Church  
  • The German Baptists, in accordance with the rules of their society
  • An imam of a masjid (mosque), in accordance with the rules of the religion of Islam
  • A judge
  • A mayor, within the mayor's county  
  • A member of the clergy of a religious organization, such as a minister of the gospel, a priest, a bishop, an archbishop or a rabbi

If you choose to be married by a judge in St Joseph County, please contact their offices directly to set an appointment.

Changing Your Name After Marriage

Access the Social Security website information on changing your name.