Handgun Permits

The Handgun Permit Application Process

Paper applications are not accepted.

Step One - Application

Please fill out the online application at the Indiana State Police website. When completing the application, you must specify the agency you are applying through. If you live in St. Joseph County, (outside the city limits) select St. Joseph County Police Department. Note that selecting the wrong agency may delay the application process. If you are uncertain of your residence, you may call 574-245-6535 to verify.

Step Two - Fingerprints & Fees

  • Call 877-472-6917 to make an appointment for fingerprinting.
  • The station for printing is L-1 at Goodwill Industries on Grape Road in Mishawaka or Western Avenue.
  • You must pay the state fee at this time.
  • Visit the Records Division between 8 a.m. and 4 p.m. Monday through Friday to pay the county fee.
  • Once the application has been approved, fingerprints and application have been submitted and all fees are paid, processing time should be approximately 3 to 7 days.

Reasons for Permit Denial

You may be declined a handgun permit for any of the following reasons:

  • If you have ever committed a felony.
  • If your record shows a propensity for violence.
  • If you have a history of domestic violence.
  • If you have a history of alcohol or drug abuse.
  • If you have threatened law enforcement officers with violence.

The State also reserves the right to revoke any license that has been issued if you are convicted of any felony or if any of the above apply after your license has been issued.

For more information on handgun laws and permit information you can go to Indiana State Police Firearms Licensing website or contact the Indiana State Police Firearms Division at 317-233-5054.

Local Fee

If you live in the St. Joseph County jurisdiction (in most cases, this means you have a 5 digit address) you will pay your local fee to the St. Joseph County Police Departments Records Division. The local fee is $50, payable in cash or money order. For the SJCPD to be allowed to process your application, you must be a resident of the unincorporated portions of the County.

If you live in Mishawaka, you may contact your local Police Department through the Mishawaka Police Department Website. Residents of South Bend may view the South Bend Police Department Website for more information.